Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Monday night with Joel

We relaxed all evening and I napped then Joel left for a meeting.  Yes, he drove his new car with the manual transmission.  I walked to the grocery store two blocks away to get Joel some stamps and coconut oil.  When I got back, I wanted to sit in Joel's room and wad but I realized I have such a short time here so I went out back to join his friends.  There are 11 people that live in the DKA house, about half are girls.  Each are unique and very nice.  I like them all.  I invited Jill who was in the living room to join me and then sat and talked with Hunter and Allison, Jill, and Sarah until Joel returned.  mike came shortly after that.  He is 24, a lot of fun, super friendly and helpful.  I enjoyed talking to the kids.  Allison's mom's name is Debbie Clark and she's a clinical social worker.  Turns out Sarah's mom is too!  After awhile, Clarisse came blowing in full of hugs.  She came just to see me!  We had a great time just hanging out chatting.  At some point they set up tables for their variation of beer pong, called triangle pong.  After a brief debate in front of me on whether or not to drink with me there, they unanimously decided to go for it!  It looked like so much fun, I joined them!  Joel didn't know what to think about me chugging my beers on my turn as he was sipping his.  You gotta get back in the game!  We didn't drink all that much at all but we did laugh quite a bit.  The kids got a kick out of me putting a pic of it on my Facebook wall.  
I turned in to bed eventually and Joel came to get his guitars to play then slept on the couch again.  
I slep well again then We got up this morning and had Cheerios on the front porch then got ready and walked on campus for Joel's job number two out of three jobs.  He works in the cinematic arts room in the basement of the library.  I am set up in a courtyard outside a coffee shop within the library.  He works til one then we'll grab a bite to eat then Mike will take me to the airport.  Joel decided he's not ready after all to drive his stick car to the airport.  Whew!  
I've had such a great visit here.  I still can't believe I drove here by myself.  In some ways it seems like a huge deal but then it seems like not that big a deal at all!  God was with me for sure.  I really like Joel's friends and his house and lifestyle.  I don't care for the driving here at all and think the standard transmission may be less than ideal.  He is thrilled with his car, though.  I saw parts of LA that I hadn't seen before this time which I liked but there are too many people and cars.  I really felt more of a culture shock this time that I had on my previous visits.  So excellent to spend time with Joel.  He's such a great kid.  



No comments:

Post a Comment