Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Shop til you drop maybe literally

After English classes yesterday, deb and I sampled more cupcakes at Bloom.  I am sure I've gained at least 10 pounds here. 

Then we went shopping along 240 in some nicer shops. I bought a nice black dress in a shop that the shop girls said they made clothes that were designed by the French owner. Some of the shops were free trade shops and the workers were on site sewing. 

Last night we took Angela to eat at Jars of Clay, a Christian run cafe employing disenfranchised women. We walked there after dark, a new adventure. We had Asian food and a really good talk. 


Deb and I returned to the hotel and quickly put our swimsuits on and went to the rooftop pool for a nighttime swim. 

This morning Deb and I were on our own.  We walked to the Russian market( it isn't Russian ) and bought mostly gifts. It was probably 90 to 100 degrees in there. There were lots of handmade items like clothes and bags and jewelry but also shops with Buddas and opium pipes and things made out of coconuts. There was also a food section but we avoided that. There were also random shops that sold motor parts. My mom wanted me to find her a cross which was a challenge. 

We just texted Angela then Bumtheon, our tuk tuk friend and took Angela to lunch at the  Blue Pumpkin.

We then stopped at another free trade shop that makes the most amazing bags out of recycled plastic bags. You know I had to support that effort. 


We are now resting at the hotel. I am amazed at how healthy we've been but the heat really kicks my hiney sometimes. I also have lots of moments where I just feel groggy like I'm awake in the middle of the night. Wait!  I am!

Random Cambodian things:
People put their babies on their motos!  Very few have helmets on, most are sandwiched between the parents but some just stand them in front of them and have them hang on. 


We are getting used to the traffic where everyone just goes across intersections, any direction they want. Deb and I have gotten the hang of crossing the street,you  just go slowly and steadily and people slow down and sort of let you go. It's the same way tuk Tuks and motos and cars get across intersections. 
I have lots of video footage of this to show you. 

People live mostly outdoors here. They may have a shop and live above it but they eat sitting out next to the road. They play cards, nap, and play with their kids next to the road also. 

People use what Angela 's friend Jackie, called a "bum gun" instead of toilet paper. 
I've tried it a couple of times. Works well:)
Also interesting to me that the streets and sidewalks are filthy and men per everywhere but every single restroom we've been in was spotlessly clean. 

In the Cafe's, they bring chilled scented wet towels for your face and neck with menthol or lemongrass. Amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment