As I left KC tonight after spending some time with my mom in LV and my dad and Jean(and even squeezed in some extra Leah time as she's in Leawood,) I got melancholy and thought about home. I felt sad thinking I was leaving home, but realized I was heading TOWARD home, my Scotty. I also passed through Lawrence where I have nephews and Topeka, where Julie and Larry and Nephew Ian are. I have family all around this part of Kansas. Is home where family is or where you have history? I guess I could just say northeast Kansas is my home.
I spent the last few days trying to squeeze in some good friends and family time. Monday, the last day Leah and her boyfriend were in Manhattan, we went to Topeka and got Scott some much needed new duds from Kohl's. We met Julie and Larry for dinner. Larry's cancer is back and he's waiting to hear the doctor's plan. It was good to get some time with them--we never spend enough time with them. I was a tad sad as we said goodbye to Leah and sent her on to spend the rest of the break with David's family in Leawood.
Yesterday I spent the entire day with Adelle. We did some errands, ate two meals together, and then just hung out here. I read and she watched music videos and her favorite tv show. My goal was to talk to her about her autism and it went really well. I told her that I am reading about a famous person, Temple Grandin who thinks in pictures and has autism and was able to turn her unique way of thinking into a career for which she's become famous. I asked Adelle if she knows she has a unique way of thinking, different from others. She said yes. When I read her the different types of thinking that Temple described in her book, Adelle said she thinks all three ways. I said that we need to figure out a way to turn that to a successful career. She liked that.
Then, of course today, I took the dogs and drove to LV to spend the afternoon with mom. We at lunch at applebee's then went in to KC to Legends and had Leah meet us for a quick shop at Target and Kohl's. Then I stopped in to visit and eat supper with with Dad and Jean. Both my parents are getting up there in age and I'm really proud of them. They are, at 82 and 80, both doing amazingly well physically. They are both doing well mentally, too, but you do have to patiently tell them the same things over and over. They are both independent, which is really a feat for my mom since she lives alone. No one knows what the future holds so I give them extra special hugs each time we part.
I am now officially half way through Spring Break. If I'd known it was going to get cold, I would have appreciated the warm days a bit more. Last night we slept with the house wide open and when I got up this morning, it was 60 degrees inside--45 outside! I still love the sunshine and today, the billowy clouds. Part three Spring Break, what will you hold?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment