Saturday, January 27, 2018

Beating This!

My life is a whirlwind as I adjust to and anticipate changes ahead. I have wrapped my brain around this cancer thing and have beaten it. I am making some lifestyle changes to my diet (giving up sugar, white flour, white rice, white potatoes, processed food, chemicals, articial sweeteners, DAIRY, and increasing fruits and veggies. I've always exercised so going into surgery physically strong helped a lot. I think going into radiation strong is good too. I met with the radiation doctors and have one more appointment to get everything ready then I'll start a few days after that. It's Monday through Friday for 33 treatments total, so about 6 and a half weeks. Side effects are bad sunburn and fatigue but only more toward the end. So doable. Plus I grabbed the 730 am time so I'll do it on the way to work. I'll have to miss FCA for 6 weeks which makes me sad but that time works so well. So the plan is, do the radiation, have the grandbaby, due April 9, wrap up the school year, go on a trip with a Mom, then have a giant party. I'll have an elective surgery after that then start seeing clients at CouserLapo mid June. I'm leaving out some more BIG news for another blog post. I also met this week with the oncologist about Tomoxifen, a drug I will take for 5 years to block the estrogen receptors in the cells in my breast, preventing having to go through this again. I'm a bit less enthusiastic about this as the main side effects are increased hot flashes and weight gain. I start that drug after I recover from radiation. Let me try to describe a hot flash if you've never had one. If you've ever sat in a sauna, it's the feeling after you've been in there awhile just before you break a sweat. So for me, whenever I have an intense feeling, I have a hot flash. My face gets super hot and my pores feel like pin prickles. My body temp goes up all over. And I can't sweat. I'm already experiencing those since having to go off my estrogen. And I'm just vain enough that the weight gain makes me angry. But considering the alternative, I'll gladly take all of this. And I remember to be very very grateful that this is all I have to go through. Lifting up in prayer all those ladies who have a way worse battle than I've had.

No comments:

Post a Comment