Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Eisenhower FCA

I have been an FCA sponsor all 14 years I've been at Eisenhower.  All 14 years, we've been sponsor led, meaning we prepared and taught the devotional.  The last several years, we've had a number of faculty step up and guest speak.  Three weeks ago, we got an email from the Superintendent reviewing the newly adopted school board policy saying that all religious organizations at school must be student led. This means that faculty sponsors can only be present in a "non-participatory role".

So at first, Coach Stout and I were blown away.  We felt defeated, discouraged.  But it didn't take long for us to be reminded that God is, as He says He is, in control.  And He works all things for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose.  So, two weeks ago we met with the kids.  We have a really strong core group of churched kids and then, each year, we have a number of other kids, mostly unchurched who attend.  We used Romans 8:28 (mentioned above) and broke the news to the kids.  It was pretty quiet in the room.  We explained that we totally trust God and His word.  We said that we know we are called according to His purpose, to teach FCA at Eisenhower.  We trust that God would turn this for good.  We said that the purpose of FCA is to motivate and grow the kids in their walk withChrist as well as share Him with those who don't know Him.  We explained what all would be involved, and then asked who was ready to take the first time leading.  It was quiet.  Then one 8th grader, Kenny, stepped up.

I got an email from Kenny this weekend asking what was he supposed to do again?  I gave the simplest explanation I could.  I said to go to the national FCA website, click on devotional s and choose one he liked.  Then call on kids to read it and tell them why he liked it.

This morning was the day.  I printed out the devotional and handed it out.  He'd chosen a devotional about attitude.  We had a good turn out of kids including one kiddo who struggles with, guess what, his attitude.  Kenny confidently called on kids to read the verse, then the paragraphs.  He then went into detail about how important it is to keep a good attitude and asked the kids how they go about keeping a good attitude.  Several kids gave some amazing answers about keeping close to God, stay in His word, look at things positively, etc.  Kenny then read the questions at the end and facilitated a great conversation. I asked who'd be willing to teach next week, and two girls volunteered to co lead it.  At the end, I asked who would be willing to pray us out.  Kenny again volunteered and prayed the most amazing prayer.  I seriously had tears in my eyes.  

I am so excited to see all God has in store for FCA this year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment