Saturday, July 27, 2013

Cva

Last Sunday afternoon, Joel, Scott and I were sitting around.  Scott was looking at a small piece of furniture to potentially purchase on the computer and he said suddenly, "I can't see."  I blew him off pretty much.  He left the room to go adjust his contacts and said, "I'm not kidding, I have double vision in my right eye."  I looked it up on medmd and said it said he needed to go to the ER.  I told him it looked like a TIA  or mini stroke.  He said no.  Joel looked at up also.  I did see on there to give him some aspirin.  I take 81 mg aspirin so I gave him three and he accepted them.  As the evening wore on, his vision was worse and he was stumbling around.  He blamed the stumbling on the vision problem and still thinks that is the case. I had him track my finger and noticed his right eye didn't track.  That really freaked me out.   He could cover one eye and see ok and he refused to go to the ER so we went on with the night.  I was glad he got up a couple of times in the night because I would have checked on him.  
On Monday, I called the doctor and made an appointment for 11.  Scott had canceled his soccer practice and Joel drove him to the doctor.  I kept my phone close during water jog then called him right after.  Scott said Dr, Mike called an ophthalmologist who said to go to the neurologist and made an appointment for 2:00 the same day.  I went with Scott to the appointment.  Dr. kumar went over his history then checked his eyes and said, "you've had a small stroke, you have a lesion on the mid part of your brain which may or may not show up on an MRI."  He ordered the MRI and made a follow up appointment.  He also said "Don't worry, the symptoms will go away in a few days, you will be alright." We were pretty freaked out.  He said to go get an eye patch and for Scott to start taking a 325 mg aspirin every day.  
The rest of the day Monday, and Tuesday, Scott showed little improvement.  I was concerned.  I put a post on Facebook but scott wouldn't let me put anything about the stroke specifically.  By Tuesday evening, Scott said he could see much better and he could walk straight.  The plan was for Joel to drive Scott to his Wednesday morning soccer practice but scott drove by himself.  He stopped wearing the eye patch and said his vision seemed almost normal.  He still felt a little nauseous in the car.  
Thursday Scott had the MRI and on Friday, we went back to see Dr.  Kumar.  The mri was apparently normal. The doctor told the nurse to put "cva" and not TIA on the chart. I looked  it up, a stroke.  The Dr. Said there isn't always a cause and it doesn't put Scott at risk for another one.  He said his blood pressure is a little high so he wants him to get his cholesterol checked and he also ordered a coradid artery check ( the arteries in your neck).  We don't expect any problems with those.   
I tell ya what, God is good.  I didn't really know how worried to be but I was pretty scared at a few points. It makes me appreciate our health a lot more.  I am so glad that he's ok, that he can drive and do all the things he likes to do.  He said he was more tense in the Dr. Office for me than for himself.  It helped to have Joel here, too.  At one point, Joel was  being silly and petted Scott's arm.  He said, "I'm stroking you so you don't have to have any more."  It was sweet and uncharacteristic for Joel.  It was also good to have Leah and Mom here on Friday when we went to the doctor.  Hannah apparently didn't like being on the hitch and just getting an email about it.  She knows he's ok now.
Glad that whole thing is behind us!  

No comments:

Post a Comment