Monday, October 29, 2012

Paradigm shift

Every now and then I hear something in a sermon or learn something in a Bible study that is life changing. It happened this weekend while hearing my brother's sermon. I have always struggled with the concept of a loving God giving power and control to Satan here on earth. I knew about our fallen nature having chosen sin in the garden so it seemed like it was two against one-- Satan and our sinful natures on one side and God on the other. So when I prayed , I felt like I was up against the free choice and sinful natures of people and satan. I believed God is in control but thought He'd willingly given control to Satan and to us . So a small yet big paradigm shift: God didn't give power to Satan, we did. God gave us power and dominion over the earth and free choice. We were the ones that gave that control to Satan. God is good and always was. He gave us dominion and free choice and won't go back on that word. It's like He is the landlord and we are the tenants . He gave us this earth and so needs us to let Him work here. So our prayer is not about persuading God to do something He already wants to do. It's about giving Him permission to come into this earth that He gave us and do what He wants very much to do. When we pray, it's like kicking Satan back out, and letting God back in. This is a life changing thought change for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment