Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Cool thing

I have a girl on my caseload with mild cerebral palsy. She does really well but she shares her heart with me and she struggles in her heart. She has a step sister her age and she constantly compares herself to her and in her estimation, she comes up short. Recently she's been asking me a lot of questions about God and has come to Fca. She has a relationship with God but I think fitting her CP and her faith together has been hard. For example, she really wants contacts and can't have them for some reason related to her CP. She prays that God will work out a way to get contacts but it doesn't happen . So she's been struggling with her faith on this and other issues. I can counsel till I'm blue in the face and we pray and even cry together but she can't seem to move on. I can tell her how special she is but she has to believe it .
Last week she and I looked at Ian's Facebook pictures of his airplane jump. She was inspired and started asking me questions about Ian. I answered them and then messaged Ian and asked if he'd talk with her.
Yesterday we called him. We had just a short time so I put him on speaker phone and we got right to it. She asked him the most amazing , hard, heart wrenching questions and he answered her in the most honest , real yet hopeful way you can even imagine. She asked him if he ever compares himself to others and if he thinks God loves him the way he is. Ian told her that God made him the way he is . He said for her to find the reason that God made her and live that and that is what people will see. He said that he has hard days that he feels like God isn't listening but He is always listening and then He changes Ian's attitude . He said he felt the same way she does when he was her age. He said that his faith is what gets him through his hard days.
The smile on my friend's face was unbelievable . I think she could hear him in ways that she couldn't hear it from anyone else.
I am so proud of Ian and so happy that he shared his heart with my friend . I love you, Ian.

1 comment:

  1. That is very touching, Diane. I'm proud of Ian -- and you. Julie

    ReplyDelete