Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A good day is a day spent doing for others

Today was a great day. I want to hang onto these summer days because they are going fast. I finally slept well last night and slept in til 9:15. It was so peaceful when I opened my eyes. Scott had already left for work and I don't think I even heard him get up! Both dogs slept with us and so I spent the typical time scratching them good morning. I let them out to pee and then made my way into the kitchen to make coffee--just for me since Leah is in Newton for a few days and Scott was at work and Joel doesn't drink coffee OR get up before noon. I made myself some oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins for breakfast and put it on a tray (Grandma Smith's solitaire tray) and took it in the living room to watch Joyce Meyer. Had my quiet time, prayer journal, and wrote my anonymous encourager letter, and went through 2 Peter for my Thursday night Bible study and noted all the times he said "remember" or pay attention to.... I showered and put on my summer uniform, today pink shorts, white shirt, and my brand new pink sketcher shape ups! By this time it was 10:30 so I did dishes and started laundry (mostly Scott's stuff from his trip). I gathered a suitcase and big duffel for Joel to start his packing for USC and then made copies of his drivers license and social security card for his loan and put that in the mail. Then I talked with Mom on the phone and changed my clothes and went to water aerobics. Two more friends joined the class today, Kim and Louann so that was fun. I did find out that my gym has sold and will be closing so later I wrote notes to my two favorite instructors letting them know how much their classes mean to me. After water aerobics I fixed a wonderful, healthy sandwich of turkey and laughing cow spread cheese and spinach leaves on toasted arrowwheat, baked chips and drank park of a green Naked (that's the name of the drink, I wasn't naked). Then I hurried to the chiropractor where he declared my back well (praise God!) and then met Keri for a coffee and good chat at Radina's. Got home at 3:30 in time to make a payment on Joel's USC tuition account with him and talked him into letting me shop with him for his dorm stuff here since he can take two bags rather than wait and do it alone there. I then wrote the kids their weekly letters (I'm sending Hannah's and saving Leah and Joel's til they leave for school). Then I picked up Adelle and we made spaghetti. She made herself some toast and a cheese and mustard sandwich. While I cleaned up and did laundry, she watched Around the Horn and country music videos on the computer. Then we took Scott some dinner at the fire station. She really impressed him by naming the team that each of his fantasy baseball players are on. She asked him some specific questions about sports this week that he had to look up to answer! When I reminded him that he coaches soccer for Junction City, she asked him, "What are your thoughts on Junction City versus Manhattan this year?" I thought he was going to pass out with delight. We took her back to meet the fireman and she shook all six of their hands and smiled at them and then bee lined it to the sports page sitting there. Then we went to the gym to deliver my notes and she suggested we work out together sometime! We went to the library and she wanted to check out a sports almanac but its reference so I suggested we also go to the library together another day. What the heck! Two of my all time favorite places to go! Next she'll suggest we get a cup of coffee! I took her home and had a good chat with her mom and then came home to blog! I finished the day off reading Katherine Center's The Bright Side of Disaster. ( I also can't wait to read Stockett's Help that I got at the library today!) A good day is a day spent doing for others. I enjoyed this one thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment