Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mothers and Daughters

I have had the privilege of spending lots of time with my daughters and my mother lately. I love them so much. Someone said that to have kids is to forever experience part of yourself walking around outside yourself. I feel that way about my kids and I know my mom feels that way about me, also. But mothers and daughters, particularly oldest and only daughters are a strange phenomena. When I'm with my mom, I often hear myself saying things that I would never say to anyone else and then I hear the same kinds of words coming back to me from my girls. Its like criticism. I think I've figured out what it is. I think its that daughters don't like seeing their mothers age. Also, we desperately miss our moms when we aren't with them but we need our independence too. Moms are hard to get independence from. Right at this moment I am missing my mom and my oldest daughter whom we just put on a plane back to Wyoming. A lot. But I am feeling all filled up having just spent good, quality time with her. I give her her independence as she needs it. I am spending some more time with my Mom this weekend. Love you, Hannah and Leah. And Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment