Sunday, April 28, 2013

Prom

It is a beautiful Sunday morning and I am up sitting on the outside patio. I used to be able to sleep in late but now I wake up at 8:30 or earlier no matter what. I usually sleep 8'hours during the week and 9 or 10 on the weekends. Friday night I got to bed at 1:00 because we went to see the movie 42. Last night I went to bed at 11:00 but got up from 1:30 to 2:30 to take Adelle home from prom.

I had so much fun helping get Adelle ready for prom. Adelle decided she wanted to go and didn't want her mom involved. So I emailed all week with her teachers to coordinate. They arranged for paras to meet her there. I had found a dress to borrow but it was too long and too low cut. Gigi, the high school social,worker had Adelle try some donated ones on, wore her out apparently, and dropped one off at the house.

I called Adelle's mom yesterday afternoon and she said Adelle had been in bed all day with the covers over her head and hadn't eaten so we weren't sure she was going to handle this. Then when I called before picking her up, Adelle answered.

I brought Adelle to the house and let her do her usual Facebook and YouTube music videos on the iPad. We ordered her favorite food, pizza and I told her we'd get ready little by little with breaks in between.

First I had her take her shoes and socks off and try on the shoes her paras had lent her. I was surprised they were heels, short, but yikes. She put them on an awkwardly walked around the house and said they'd be fine. Then I painted her toenails and fingernails one hand at a time. I didn't do any cuticles or anything else, just painted them pink, because she chews her nails.

Next I had her put her swimsuit on for privacy and get in the soaker tub. I'd gotten the water a bit warmer then she likes it so that was touchy. Then I showed her how to shave her legs because she'd never done it before! She couldn't do it so I did it. Wow. Lots of hair! Took forever! Then she out her arms in the air for me to shave her pits! Apparently her mom does up that for her in the summers. I have ever shaved anyone's armpits for them.

Then I washed her hair and rinsed it and conditioned it. That was really stressful for her. She kept making little stressed out sounds but she handled it. She doesn't like water on her face at all and wouldn't wash her face.

She got out of the tub and put on one of my robes and we combed out her hair which went easily because we'd conditioned it and she took a break and ate her pizza.

Next came blow drying. I had her sit in the tall kitchen chair in the bathroom and took my large round brush and blow dried her hair. It was unbelievably full and luxurious and hung just right. She handled that well but with trepidation, also. Another break then we curled her hair and swooped the front back with a fancy baret. In between steps, I kept presenting her to Scott who could tell I was having way more fun than Adelle was.

Then makeup. That went fine but she couldn't figure out where to look while I put on the mascara so I had to mostly skip the lower lashes. She looked fabulous.

Another break while she put on the headphones and sang at the top of her lungs, good stress relief.

Time to put on the dress and the shoes and the jewelry then another short break before pictures. Then time to go!

We met Adelle's para at the start of the line to the promenade and waited for the boys. Earlier in the week, her teacher had gone to the Interpersonal skills class to ask if there were any boys who would volunteer to walk Adelle through the promenade. They all raised their hands! They agreed to walk another gal from the class through, then walk Adelle, then go back for their dates. It was so awesome. Adelle was super nervous. She sat rocking while we were waiting. When it was her turn, she clung onto the arms of the two boys and they announced, "Miss Adelle Sloan, a junior, and her male entourage!" She walked with the two boys with another five or six boys behind her with people clapping and taking photos along the way.

I picked Adelle up at the after prom party where she was bowling and she said shed had a wonderful time.









1 comment:

  1. This made my heart so full. I love and admire you, Diane and I am proud to know you. Adelle is blessed you are her friend.

    ReplyDelete