Tuesday, July 3, 2012
Random Thoughts on Aging
There is a poster in the physical therapy office of an old, attractive, buff guy with his shirt off that says, "Gettting old is not for sissies". It really resonates with me as Scott and I give each other back rubs each night just to be able to get to sleep--because he is trying to build a rock wall at 51 and I am trying to rehab my shoulder and keep up with 20 year olds at the gym at age 50. I see my parents in physical pain of aging--it isn't for sissies! I turned 50 a few weeks ago and mostly its really ok. I like it. I look around at other women my age and think, "Hey, I'm doing ok!" For the first time in my life, I can really appreciate the parts of myself that I like, physically, like my legs and my hair and my face and ignore the parts I don't like (stomach, flappy arms, cellulose...). I know there are people who worry about my working out and yes, part of it is for vanity ("I'm sexy and I know it, I work out, ha ha), it is also for stress relief, for health (successfully keeping my cholesterol down without meds), for social reasons, for fun, and it gives me confidence. I also just like to feel toned and tan and fit. Being 50 is great because I no longer truly care what anyone thinks. I can wear ridiculous shoes and not care. I can wear gym clothes 99% of the time and not care. I can get up and go teach my water jog class without doing my hair or putting on makeup and not care. I feel respected in my profession and enjoy people coming to me for advice. I even like this stage of life--living in a nice house that we worked hard for and not having to cook for clean for a family. I love having the kids visit and talking to them on the phone, but I can use my time the way I want to. I like being married. So yes, getting old has some true drawbacks but it is also wonderful!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Mom this is beautiful. I love you.
ReplyDeleteDiane, that is a great blog. I'm glad you are working out. It's worth it - for sure. If I didn't walk 20 minutes twice a day I would be in pretty bad shape, that's for sure. - Julie
ReplyDelete