I had an amazing birthday, perfect. When I got up and went in the kitchen, Scott had written me a card and left it by the coffee pot. We got up and got around and left for Lake Wabaunsee. It was a breezy, hazy, warm day but not hot. We all (the kids, Scott, Larry, Jo and I) lolled around on the dock and the patio and chatted. We ate a great meal (probably ate too much but that is a lake tradition). Scott and I stayed later and rode home together. I turned 49 and it was our 27th wedding anniversary.
Then yesterday, I got up and had some quiet time and got started getting ready for the party. The kids and Scott soon pitched in and we all worked for a couple of hours. The house shaped up quickly. We had food left from the lake yesterday and more.
The retirement reception at the fire department was really nice and touching. So many of the family came and more later to the house. Scott was presented with several plaques and folks from the department said nice things about him. Scott's speech was good, saying how it was a God thing that he got the job and then met me and how what he really wanted was to be a good dad. When he was done, everyone clapped and then the fire fighters gave him a standing ovation.
We came back to the house and more people came and I had a really good time. There was so much good conversation and people stuck around for a long time. Ian and Shari were here and Jon and Dave and Roni came and Jackie and TJ and a bunch of Hannah's friends and Joel's friends. At the end of the evening, someof Joel's friends, Leah and David, Hannah, Rob and Sarah and Scott and I played some fun games in the living room--The valley of the green glass doors and Black magic. It was relaxing and fun.
They all leave today. I will feel sad and a little lost but I'm looking a bit forward to the quiet. I will get Adelle tomorrow and go see Scott at the FD for one of the last times to do that. Then my water class starts Monday! Tuesday will be a long quiet day. I'm looking forward to getting back on track with my eating and getting back to the gym and being active. Then Wednesday I'll go stay the night with Leah. Joel comes back on Friday:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment