I want to recreate the week that the kids were all home.
Friday, got home from school getting out and Leah was already home. I worked out and left early and showered and gathered Leah and Joel. The kids read in the van and I listened to a book on my ipod. We went to the Chipotle in Topeka and got food to go and ate it at the state soccer game where we sat with Scott and watched Manhattan lose a tough one, one to nothing. We went on our way even though we knew Hannah's plane was delayed. We picked up Rob at the airport and went to Granite City in the Zona Rosa nearby as it seemed the only thing open at that hour. We ate appetizers and caught up. He was confortable with us and us with him right away. Back to the airport and waited and everyone including Rob read:). Hannah's plane got in at 2. The ride home was precarious--I was exhausted and the fog was thick most of the way and worse as we got further. The last 10 miles on I-70 and the whole way on 177 it was so thick it was green. We went to bed when we got home.
Slept in on Saturday and mostly hung around. I think this was when they ate salad and I took pics. We went to the grocery store together and got tons of groceries for the week. I think that night we made fajitas with homemade whole wheat tortillas--I should say Hannah and Rob made them. I can't remember if we walked to aggieville on Saturday or Sunday, I want to say Sunday because Scott was at work. We went to Dusty Bookshelf, acme gift (I bought a sock monkey key chain), had coffee at Bluestem and then went to R & R. It was myself, all three kids and Rob. Later we went to Orange Leaf for frozen yogurt then went to Tuttle Puddle Beach. We played some in the water but slept for about an hour, too. We cooked that night too, I think, or was that the night we went to Chipotle? Monday, memorial day, Scott was home. We all went to the Konza and hiked to the top of the hill. It was hot and crazy windy so we didn't walk more. One day we went to Anneberg--not sure which and walked around a bit. Rob and Hannah went on the outside of the bridge to demonstrate their climbing skills and daringness. Later on Monday we all went to the gym. I loved that. I did my work out while Scott was on the elliptical and the kids did the machines. I did some sit ups with Hannah.
Tuesday, the girls and Rob and I went to Lawrence. We had lunch with my mom then Leah and Mom and I went to see baby Liam and Hannah G. We sent mom on her way back to LV and then shopped. We went to Urban Outfitters where Leah got some things and Rob got a shirt and I got some earrings and a wallet that is hard and holds my cell phone too. We went to some thrift stores and Rob got some old albums. We ate homemade ice cream and then Rob drove home. I think this was the night they made the stir fry with peanut sauce.
Wednesday was appointment day--Hannah to the eye doctor and dentist, Leah to the eye doctor, me to the chiropractor.
On Thursday, my birthday and our anniversary, we got up and went to Lake Wabaunsee. It was a beautiful, peaceful day I thoroughly enjoyed.
Friday we got up and everyone pitched in and cleaned the house and got ready for the party. We went to the Fire Station for the reception there. It was family and some of the soccer team and lots of fire fighters. They presented Scott with a plaque, gave me a picture of him, gave him two more plaques, a retiree shirt, and the union gave him a speaking horn. Scott's speech was touching. We all came back to the house. Ian, Season, Shari, Max, Sam, Larry, Joanna, my dad and Jean, Julie and Larry, Dave and Roni, Jon, a bunch of Hannah's friends, and a bunch of Joel's friends were all there.
This was such a special week. I can still picture Rob in the room down here looking at his new albums or reading or folding clothes, I can hear him making weird noises or breaking into song randomly like Scott. I can picture the kids laying around on the furniture and Rob playing the guitar or the piano. Hannah and Rob went running quite a bit. We all drank coffee together a lot and sat around a bunch. The kids' egg pan is still in the sink from yesterday morning. They made eggs with broccoli and spinach. Joel was so engrossed in his computer game that Hannah came in periodically to put a mouthful of eggs into his mouth for him. I forgot to mention that David came too and stayed overnight. He fit right in, too. Yesterday I made everyone grilled turkey and spinach and cheese sandwiches on garlic bread. Yummy.
Now the house is quiet. I took Joel to the airport this morning (we stayed over at mom's). Rex is hanging out with me (he still has mango in his fur where Hannah dropped it). Scott is at the FD. It is WAAAAAAY too quiet and I'm not sure I like it. During the craziness of the week I could picure this day and think it would be ok but now that it is here, I'm having to readjust.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment