Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day in the life of a school social worker

Not that I want to think about work while I'm home, but I think my job is fascinating....maybe you will too. Yesterday began bright and early at 7:25 a.m. with FCA. I team taught with Mr. Harmon, his first time, on Philippians 4:4-9. Thought it went really well. Next met a teacher and a student in my office at 8 as the student had had a meltdown in his classroom the day before and had been too shut down to try to talk to him. The meeting went fairly well and we made a plan for future. (he's a tough kid with lots of anxiety and possibly more issues besides his family being frustrated with him. I met with them earlier and got them some services in their home). Then I recruited Nancy to go with me to get a kid out of bed whose mom called and said she was sick and he wasn't cooperating. Nancy and I banged on the wrong door for awhile and then the student we sought came right to the door when we knocked on the right door. He tried to fake dizzy and nauseated but it didn't work on us. Met then for several hours with the admin team--lots to talk about but mostly truancy stuff. Next met with a young lady who hates to read and has been refusing in reading class and gave her my best pep talk. She is somewhat like talking to a wall but I helped her with a big bully thing on monday so she responded well to me. Then noticed my guy from this morning faking in the nurses office and sent him back to class. Turned out he didn't go to class but was eventually found in the library. Did lunch group with four students with autism (high functioning) and a peer model and added a new member who fit right it. One burped and so we talked about whether or not people can help burping, how to try not to, etc. This was quickly followed by a leadership planning meeting for the workshop we are doing. Called the parent of the boy from this morning. Saw another couple kids....blanking on those issues then from 2-4 met with the gals I'm doing clinical supervision for. Today I was job shadowed by a high school student wo was pretty neat. Started the day following up on a bully situation from PE and gave the kiddo who bullied him a firm talking to and then caught that same kiddo pushing and kicking at another student in the hall! Helped a young man, my reading buddy whom I read with 20 miutes every day, who has ADHD, sort out what book to read and where to keep it, etc, as he loses any and all books he isn't quite interested in. I coordinated this with the other teachers that also require reading and his mom. Met again with the girl from yesterday who was refusing reading as she apparently has a bad attitude across the board and is failing a couple of classes. Her teacher wanted me to give her a test and then make a plan. I did that and had her stay in AES the rest of the day to get caught up. She actually sort of seemed to like that. Go figure. Talked to a mom of a kiddo with bi polar disorder about trying to figure out where his disability leaves off and his will kicks in (which the teachers have a hard time figuring out with this kiddo too). Met with my thursday lunch group which is a kiddo with a thought disorder who was having a rough day and a kiddo with asperger's (who shocked us today by initiating a whole conversation with another student) and two in the process of being diagnosed. Emails to schedule an iep meeting, then attended an iep meeting of a young man who has earned his way out of the tlc into a regular resource setting. Then cleaned off my desk and made a list to do tomorrow. Probably missed a few things I also did each day but that's about it. I'm tired and going to crawl beneath the covers early again tonight. I actually do really like my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment