Tomorrow is Leah's birthday. She will be 23 years old! Where does the time go?
We were surprised when we found out little Leah was coming along but we were happy about it. We had wanted to wait, more for financial reasons than anything, but God had other plans and I am glad we ended up having the kids close together. We found out that Leah was going to be a girl in a sonogram when I was about 5 months along. I always say that we fell in love with Leah after we got to know her, and we loved her for who she is.
Leah was born in the winter, two weeks before her due date. I was in labor only seven hours, or just over half the time I'd been in labor with Hannah. At the beginning of the labor, I passed out because I'd cut off the circulation by sitting straight up. It really sacred the nurse. It was the easiest of all three of my labor and deliveries. I did have way too much amniotic fluid, though, and they had to keep breaking it and it soaked the bedding and the doctor's clothes over and over. She seemed so tiny when she was born. I remember them putting her on me instantly after she came out and she was so warm and tiny!
I remember holding Leah at home during my maternity leave while watching the bombs being dropped in the Middle East on tv during the first Saudi- USA conflict. Leah was a sleepy baby, she slept 22 out of 24 hours a day for the first 6 months of her life. I think she was cold, too. We kept her in a bassinet next to the bed and she would grunt and groan til we put her in the bed with us. Then she started waking up more, but it was always at night. We didn't know what to do. The doctor told us to make sure everything was just right then let her cry. Scott had to hold me in the bed to keep me from going to her. It took about three hours the first night and less the next two nights then she slept through. But she bonded with her bed and never wanted to be nursed or rocked to sleep after that.
Leah was an active baby once she learned to crawl, quiet, but always going. She walked late, 15 months. One month before Joel was born.
Leah was a sweet child whom everyone always liked. They just knew there was something special about her. She was talented musically and very creative. She had a deep love and cared diligently for dolls and her Guinea pig and her friends. Leah had a lot of illnesses as a a child, allergies and had pneumonia every winter. Leah was quiet and messy and would worm her way out of chores quietly while Joel and hannah were throwing their fits or pushing limits. Leah hated to be nagged but hated me making her to do lists even more! It's funny because she is a super responsible adult.
Leah had a best friend, Anna, who lived behind us growing up, and she loved spending time over there. I give the Hulberts credit for some of how Leah turned out because they are awesome people.
Leah is an artist. She makes the most amazing art, ceramics and photography. Her blog is amazing along with her fashion sense and style.
Leah is the most special, creative, loving "people person". Everyone loved her growing up and they love her now. She doesn't have to be the one out in front getting the attention. She is easy to get along with but stands up for what she thinks. I think she'll make an excellent teacher.
I love going to visit Leah in Newton. She's made such a nice life for herself. She is happy and I feel happy when I'm with her. She appreciates the little things in life. I love to go shopping, for walks, make and eat meals with her and play with she and Professor.
Happy Birthday, my sweet Leah.






No comments:
Post a Comment