Ken Black, our missionary to Kenya, who has returned from the field led the meeting. It was myself, Deb Kluttz, who is one of our Pastors and the Director of Homestead, and another volunteer with homestead, Loretta. When Ken started talking about how lonely it is on the mission field and how encouraging it is to have visitors from home, I felt my heart begin to change. I receive the private prayer requests from Angela, our missionary in Cambodia, and pray for her regularly. We have talked about the difficult work they do and I feel a special connection to her in terms of understanding the toll that what they do can take on a helper. So as Ken spoke, it became clearer to me that we need to go, and that I, specifically, need to go.
As we spoke through some of the details, shots, and tickets and passports, I found myself saying "when" not "if" and began to feel not just sure about this, but excited. I even felt confident about raising the huge amount of money needed because He's done it before on many occasions. It became quickly apparent that my training and experience on the mission field is going to be invaluable for this trip, even though I've never traveled across the ocean and the International time line. Then Ken asked Deb and Loretta if they've ever been on a mission trip or even traveled internationally. No! Two first timers!
Obviously, I left the meeting completely on fire for this trip, excited beyond belief, all fears and doubts are gone, and I know without a doubt that I need to do this, that He wants me to go and that He will organize all the details. I came home, got my passport renewal together and sent it off, drafted my support letter, and started researching.
We have begun communications with Angela and she has sketched out what we will do. Our main purpose is to encourage she and the staff, to come alongside them, build them up, assess and treat any compassion fatigue or even secondary trauma, and just love on them. We will do some travel and learn about the country and sex trafficking there. We will learn about all they are doing and the girls, and their healing journey. We will spend some time with the girls but it will be limited because it isn't good for them to form attachments to people who are only in their lives temporarily.
So go with me through this adventure by reading this blog. I will label all the ones about Cambodia accordingly in case you don't want to read my entire blog. But I decided to include this adventure into my regular blog so people can see who I am overall. Anyone can go on the mission field!

No comments:
Post a Comment