On the way down, Adelle started getting antsy about Lawrence. I couldn't find Hannah's address or current phone numbers, so we stopped at a quick stop to use the restroom, get gas, and a snack. It had thrown Adelle a bit to be past where her radio stations came in but we found one she liked.
When we got to Aberdeen, the rents greeted Adelle with a hug that she accepted, whew! Adelle isn't a real huffy person. Jean made the comment, "This is where you end up at the end of your life" which Adelle brought up again later. I can tell she wasn't sure what to think about that. Interestingly, she addressed Dad as "Mr. Griffith" and I don't recall having told her his last name. Smart girl, that one. She made conversation for awhile (of course askd if they watch "Around the Horn" then I let her get on her Facebook on their computer. I sat with Dad and we watched Animal Planet about puppies which brought back the never ending hope of his getting a puppy.
We took Adelle's hat off and fluff fed her hair then went to the dining room for dinner. The dining room is probably the nicest place Adelle has ever eaten. She did very well, used her manners with only a few reminders from me. She ordered her two cheeseburgers with mustard by herself and for dessert ordered vanilla ice cream for here and brownies to go. Cracked me up. The meal took an hour to come to us and she ate toast while waiting and waited patiently. She smiled and participated some in the conversation fairly appropriately. They asked her several times about college which was complicated because in the car, Adelle had informed me that I am "dictating her future" when I reminded her that the plan is for her to spend an additional year in high school before looking into college. She wants to go to k state when her friends do. Yikes. Dad. And Jean did a great job with Adelle. They seemed to understand that she is special but they didn't talk down to her.
After dinner at the apartment, Adelle asked if she could spend the night there. The ride home was uneventful, she sang most of the way and was happy when we got back in range of her stations.
No comments:
Post a Comment