Saturday, July 14, 2012

Savouring Summer

Summer is slipping away.  And I'm behind on blogging.  So, some highlights.
Mom came up for a few days several weeks ago.  Loved just hanging around with her.  She wakes up talkative and I wake up quiet so that was an adjustment but I liked it:).  She got a new ipad so we played on our electronics together.  And went out to eat a couple of times.  We went to Target and didn't get ANYTHING!  Highly unusual.  We made up for it at the mall.  When I took her home, she cried when I got ready to leave.  :(.  She said she isn't lonely but she is.

We got the new deck done for the most part...not decorated yet.  I've enjoyed spending time lounging out there in the mornings, doing my prayer journaling and Bible study and in the evenings reading or just visiting.

Right now I am in Newton visiting Leah.  It was a short stay but we enjoyed it--ate out at La Fiesta last night....walked there in the heat and tried to share a marguerita but it was too strong for this chick!  We walked by the river, then drove to Dillons and rented and watched The Vow which was really good.  I slept fine.  It was fun to turn over and see sweet Leah sound asleep nearby.  And Professor, of course.  This morning we woke up earlyish and made french toast then ate it in the back yard.  Leah also made me her famous coffee cube yummy treat--twice.  We hit the flea market and shops--I got away with spending only $10!  I bought another, larger, pink purse to replace the other one I bought in Newton that is now worn out, and I bought a lazy susan to put in the fridge (good idea from Pinterest).  Leah had to come to work at noon so I am sitting here blogging and hanging out for awhile.

Water jog is still going great and I am enjoying it immensely!  We started a new session and its fun to see how much the new people enjoy it.  It is a challenge to keep it interesting and change things up and try new things.  On Friday we did a conga line which was also an indian run with the last person having to sprint to the front.  I really like motivating people and making them work hard and burn calories and get healthy.  On Friday, I filled in for Dena's class which I did not enjoy last time--they moved slow and seemed annoyed when I gave instructions.  But the second session has more people who are there to work.  At one point, when they came around, I asked them to set a goal of how many laps they could sprint around and then I encouraged them.  One younger, overweight fellow said he thought he could do two laps.  When he came around for the second lap, he looked truly exhausted, so I let him go about 20 feet then came up behind him and said, "Don't let your teacher pass you!"  He turned on the heat and I tried hard but I couldn't get around him!  It was awesome!  At the end of class when people have worked really hard, I like to praise them and give high fives.

I've had some pretty good phone conversations with Joel lately, complete with laughter.  He's gotten to work as a production assistant on a couple of projects which though they don't pay, they feed him and build his resume.  He reads the want ads and we talk about potential jobs.  We decided he'd better not try out to be an extra in a zombie movie that advertised on Craig's list because it might end up being porn!  Too funny.  We miss the boy.  Scott plays civilization on the internet with him every few days which is good.  I have made a few batches of granola bars and cookies to mail Joel this summer--he truly appreciates and gifts from home but particularly edible ones.

Adelle and I have been hanging out regularly.  We have gone to the pool and made burgers and cookies together and done the usual facebooking and you tubing.  The other day Bre was over too and we giggled as Adelle was trying to booty pop to Niki Minaj.  I was impressed with Adelle's conversation skills with Bre.  This week Adelle posted on facebook that we were going to the Katy Perry movie so we did!  I actually enjoyed it!  It was the first time we went to the movie together and it went well so we can add that to our repertoire.  The funnest thing we do is blast the music in the car and sing and throw our rock punches in the car.  She brings her stack of CD's just for that purpose.  Fun!

Looking forward:  this week Hannah comes in on Thursday morning and Leah will also come home.  Then Sunday I take her back to the airport and leave for Chicago with Dad and Jean on Monday!

I promise to upload pictures and put them on here in the future (need to figure out an app or something that does it easily) and also put a link to Leah's blog when she puts our girl sleepover on there.

link:  http://little-girlonthe-prairie.blogspot.com/2012/07/girls-weekend.html

1 comment:

  1. Diane, sounds like you are having a fun summer, the visit with your mom and Leah were great. What are you going to Chicago for -- just visit? Sounds like fun too. I'd love to see Chicago. Anyway - all sounds great. Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete