Friday, October 28, 2011

An Exercise in Patience

I have two major character flaws (and a bunch more but these are the ones God is honing right now): a lack of patience and inability to deal with change. I am NOT ungrateful. This renovation is really stretching me. When I talk about it seeking support and understanding, people are incredulous that I'm not focused on the end result. It comes down to these two basic flaws. The work seems to be moving at a snails pace. We started mid summer and the only thing complete is the upstairs bathroom. It is beautiful, I am really happy with it! Currently, I have been without a toilet on the main floor for more than six weeks. I tromp through the entire house to use the bathroom in the basement in the middle of the night. We have no water at all on the main floor now and will not for about 6 weeks. I tromp up the stairs to get water for coffee and for the dog bowl each morning. We cook in a microwave and eat on paper plates. I don't know why I can't pull the adventurous side of me out. Sometimes I can see the humor in it and I try to stay focused on the end result and the progress each day but I am struggling to near tears daily. The kitchen cabinets came in and they are beautiful, really, beautiful. We will love the island. We will love the triangle work space. But I didn't plan it well, there is no place to put the dishes near the dishwasher and the food pantry is far from the cooking area. When I packed up the old kitchen, I took about 3 trunk loads of stuff to give away. So the other night I started putting away dishes and food and unpacking boxes of kitchen stuff. I got the cabinets almost full and I was only about halfway through the boxes. I will have to be really creative and give away a bunch more stuff. I do like the idea of living with less things but this is stressful to sort out! I've had a stressful few weeks at work and I really need to have time to relax and take care of me. I haven't gotten to work out this week which is probably good because I fried my back dragging the kitchen floor to the dump wagon this last weekend. I know, its going to be great. I just want my toilet back. A sink on the main floor would be nice. Did I mention I don't like shopping or decorating? Only about 4 billion more decorating decisions to make and this will be done. I really do sound ungrateful, don't I? Character changes are hard. Pray for patience and flexibility for me please.

No comments:

Post a Comment