Sunday, September 9, 2012

surreality

     I don't even know if that is a word--but this weekend was surreal and I can't get a feeling of normal back.  Usually, normal things occur, day after day, with no new experiences.  Every now and then I do something different or something different occurs and then life goes back to being completely normal.  This weekend, there were 5 new events that occurred.
      Friday night I brought a kid home from work with me to give his foster family (teacher friend of mine) a break.  He is a very unusual young man (autism spectrum).  It wasn't unpleasant to spend the evening with him, just very different.  And I normally hold onto my Friday night routine religiously to help me recover from the week.  On top of that, Scott's team had a soccer game.  I haven't watched a soccer game in a super long time.  I took the young man from schoo with me to the game.  It just felt surreal.
     Got up Saturday morning and headed to Leavenworth where I got to spend some time with my family and go to Ryan's wedding.  Though it didn't feel surreal at the time, it was very brief so I keep thinking, "Did I really spend time with Leah? and my Dad and Mom?  Did I really watch a wedding and dance the electric slide?"  Oh my goodness--Liam was so hilarious!  They took off his shirt so he just had on his vest and he danced in the strobe lights and he was really good!  He's not even two!  The wedding was very nice and the dinner good and the dance fun.  Samantha and her step dad had prepared a very entertaining father daughter dance that touched me and also made me laugh.
      But before the night got done, I got a call from the house mom at Homestead.  Big issues with one of the gals.  She wanted to leave.  So I said I'd come pick her up which I did--at midnight, after talking to the Director on the phone most of the way home.  This morning, I didn't get my quiet time or have any of my routine because we got up early and went to the church for Inside Out which is where the entire church goes out into the community to do missions.  I went with a group door to door to hand out cinnamon rolls and invite people to church int he neighborhood surrounding the church.  This also wasn't an unpleasant experience, but it felt surreal.  The Homestead gal came home with me and she is unlike anyone I know.  I don't know how to help her at all and she wants to be better immediately and desperately.  I know God can help her but He is taking His sweet time.  We spent the entire afternoon trying to come to some resolution to her situation and we got absolutely nowhere.  A full circle.  I handed her off to another volunteer so I could get some perspective and downtime before tomorrow's work week starts.  So 5 really different activities all packed into one weekend.  I am ready for my normal routine and work week so I can relax!

1 comment: