Monday, May 7, 2012

Wyoming Weekend and Hannah Graduates

     Friday morning I got up early and got ready then got Scott awake somehow and we took off, me driving to Salina to pick up Leah.  David took her to meet us.  When we arrived, I ran into Dillons to pee and they three were standing out by the car.  David and Scott were dressed exactly the same which Leah got a kick out of.  Leah gave Scott a sweet birthday card that she had painted.  David gave me a nice hug.
     Off we went to Laramie.  It didn't seem like a long drive on the way there.  I drove as far as I could go, until we needed gas and food at Goodland, about 12, I think.  We ate at Subway then got gas.  I napped for a good, long time, until almost Denver.  I read and played angry birds on my phone.  We stopped at Ft Collins and I drove the rest of the way.  We pulled into Laramie about 4:30 Laramie time.
     I like Laramie.  Its kind of a dump but classic and western.  The people there are stylish in an extremely casual, comfortable way.  Kind of edgy, I guess.  Most of the guys don't comb their hair and it looks ok.  The girls are all casual but I saw no work out kind of clothes at all.
     I arrived at the blue house and Rob was outside.  He shook a big stick in greeting us then gave us all great hello hugs.  We went inside and sat down.  I had seen the downstairs of the blue house, but not the upstairs.  Hannah lives with 6 guys and 2 other girls.  The house is a lot like Laramie--dumpy but stylish and interesting.  There was cool art everywhere and musical instrument and books and stuff.  Hannah and Larry and Joanna arrived from walking around campus so we hugged and talked awhile and took a few photos then walked to the big open, grassy part of campus and sat down.  It was gorgeous out.  We chatted and watched people play catch for awhile then decided we were hungry.
     We checked into our hotel (I won't go into details but I will not ever use Expedia again and I won't even stay at a Ramada Inn again).  Enough said about that.
     We went back to get Hannah and also Calee and met up at our traditional arrival night restaurant, Corona Village.  I always eat too much and enjoy it very much.  Rob had to work and couldn't join us.  We had planned to all go change and rest up a but then were were going to go hear Hannah's friends' band but Scott couldn't wake up.  I was fine reading in the hotel room and went to bed early.
     We got up Saturday morning and I went down to breakfast (what a joke) then called the girls.  Scott still couldn't get up so I went to the house and we went to Coal Creek for a cinnamon roll and vanilla steamer. Yum.  Back at the house,  we visited with Patrick and his brother for awhile.  Patrick hugged me hello then apologized.  He said, "I probably stink like a swamp because I fell inone earlier today."  He's a hoot.  Hannah's roommates are all so very nice.  Tyler even went with us to graduation.  (Scott did wake up in time to go:).
     Graduation was pretty typical except that their stadium is round on the outside.  It was fun to see Hannah graduate.  She wore cowboy boots because she thought that was fitting.  She had on a little, lacy off white strapless dress and cowboy boots.  She looked amazing. ( I will upload some pics on this at some point:). We stayed until she crossed the stage and then left and waited at the house.
     After graduation, we visited for awhile then went downtown to eat at the Thai restaurant.  It was fancy and good.  We then said good bye to Joanna and Larry (they stopped by the house to pick up an amazing metal art piece that Hannah made and gave us that wouldn't fit in the car).  We spent the evening sitting around Hannah's kitchen table playing scrabble with all the roommates.  It was a very enjoyable evening.  They got out the snake at one point and I snapped some photos.
     The ride home was memorable.  It was odd to say goodbye to Laramie knowing that Hannah probably won't live there much longer, but it wasn't sad because we were taking her home with us this time.  We crammed 4 of us and a whole load of Hannah's belongings into the car.  Hannah downsized her things to only those that will fit into a car since she is going to work conservation in Wyoming for Ameri-corp for the summer and then live in Rob's car with him while deciding where they want to go next.  It sounds really exciting and adventurous.   So in the car, they threw starburst wrappers in my hair, beat on my seat with a wooden spoon, poked me with the spoon, fed me almonds with the same spoon and whined pretty much the whole time I was driving.  We stopped for a strange meal at Burger King.  (We were the only ones in the restaurant the entire time and yet they called our number to tell us our meal was ready) in some tiny place in Colorado.  The drive took forever due to a huge traffic jam in Denver and then swinging all the way out to Newton to drop off Leah.  That and we had back packs and art stuffed all around us in the car.  We said goodbye to Leah then I drove from Newton in the rain.  Not fun.
    Today it was awesome to be home.  I was able to take care of two appts--the doctor to tell me I probably have a torn rotater cuff, set up physical therapy, and go to the chiropractor.  I also grocery shopped and napped and did laundry and went for a walk.  It was beautiful out and I enjoyed visiting with Hannah in between.  It will be weird to go back to work tomorrow.  Then I pick up Joel at the airport on Wednesday!



No comments:

Post a Comment